THIS WEEK'S QUOTE PROMPT:

My biggest excuse to others and myself was that I had writer's block, as if it was some kind of illness. Mary Garden

Monday, August 16, 2010

#22 - Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears. Les Brown

BENEATH THE POND

Beneath the frozen pond
a dream lay dormant.
Just below the surface,
a thin layer of ice
separates it from me.
The fear of falling through
keeps me from claiming it as my own.

The pond water has melted.
The dream is well within my reach
just beneath the surface,
but I make no rescue attempt.
The fear of drowning
keeps me from claiming it as my own.

The seasons have revolved again.
My dream now sits on the bottom
of the pond, mired in the muck.
The senseless fear of defeat
before the battle even began
makes this dream impossible to reclaim.
Were it not for the phobia of self-doubt,
the dream could have taken me anywhere.

2 comments:

Susan Schoeffield said...

SUCCESS ABOVE FEAR

To rise above fear
very often determines
the success of dreams.

Susan Schoeffield said...

THE RISK OF TRYING

A dream stirred within me,
but reality stood in the way.
My heart could not move beyond
the fear of failure.
But if I fail in the act of trying,
the act does not equate to failure.
Risking all trying to achieve
that for which we so deeply desire
makes us stronger.