THIS WEEK'S QUOTE PROMPT:

My biggest excuse to others and myself was that I had writer's block, as if it was some kind of illness. Mary Garden

Thursday, January 14, 2010

#1 - Love is Space and Time Measured by the Heart.

LOVE'S VOYAGE

As an infant, love came freely,
with no stipulations.
The unique and helpless baby
made it flow from an endless fountain.
It was given and returned easily,
with no threat of being taken away or withheld.
It was love in its purest form
by its simple demonstration.

As a teenager, love was more complicated.
Without constraints just a few years ago,
the awkwardness of adolescence made
it difficult to reciprocate or convey.
On the path between childhood and maturity,
it was taken for granted as a rightful possession,
but was seldom passed on
without impossible preconditions.

As a young adult, love grew even more complex.
Centered on the passion of a moment,
it wasn’t understood on a deeper level.
The growing process far from over,
the depth of what it meant was buried by
all-or-nothing expectations.
It exploded in flames when assumptions were burned
by the fire of disappointment.

Today, love encompasses everything.
It defines what I want and where I’m going.
It exists in the simple joy of waking each day,
in the smell of a freshly mowed lawn,
on a walk in the sand at the ocean’s edge,
in the faith and trust I put in our relationship.
It is who I am, who you are, and who we are.
We find comfort in its splendor
and are enraptured by the magic it performs.

4 comments:

Susan Schoeffield said...

THE CLOCK

The clock hanging in this lonely room
ticks off seconds, minutes and hours.
It transforms the morning into afternoon,
and afternoon into evening.
Yet the story it tells is not the passage of time.
It speaks of the vacant space within me,
yearning for your presence to fill the void.

S.E.Ingraham said...

A Heart Keeping Time Keeping Track

And when you left me I went off the
Rails knowing my poor heart would
Bleed out in less time than
it takes for
The moon to rise and set and
rise again

The lines in my journal grew
faint even
As I scribbled every aching word in blood
And let my thoughts scrawl
limply all
Across each page as unruly
as children

Every night without you is
endless pain
And I know that one time soon
I will not
Awaken in the morning, there
will be no
Help for it; my time here
will be done

S.E.Ingraham

Susan Schoeffield said...

S.E., thank you for your beautiful poem. Your line, "as I scribbled every aching word in blood" brilliantly shows the intensity of your pain. I was very moved.

Susan Schoeffield said...

EYES

A soulmate’s eyes,
separated by distance,
stare deeply into the spirit of their union,
with love undiminished
by time or space.